Searls Guitars Build Thread

demonx

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that is a friggin guitar. I tell you I have been pretty board with you guys while I am renovating the shop. Searls this one looks like a real winner. Now seeing this I am anxious to get back to building.

I am watching this one for the grand finale.

I know I don't have to tell you to make sure you use a clear coat with UV protection or that padauk will turn brown inside a year.

\m/

I know I don't have to tell you to make sure you use a clear coat with UV protection or that padauk will turn brown inside a year.

\m/

Being that I use Auto 2k as my clear coat, its a non issue. This will be my first guitar using West Systems Epoxy as a grain filler. I expect big things after everyones "talking it up" on this forum!

Today was a bevel day - marked out with greylead and then rasped by hand:

552735_422349887846851_611476469_n.jpg

166773_422349871180186_1911249039_n.jpg

There's always something new to be seen in your builds Allan which is of itself a very good thing.

When someone comes to me and wants a guitar like one that I built for such n such I say no, I explain I don't build doubles and that it's much better if I build a guitar designed specifically for them and then it is "thier guitar", not just "a" guitar.

So yeah, I'd like to think that every build I do is going to be different and always trying something new, yet I still like to keep to my styling which is ever changing.

On the weekend the customer informed me he now wants the strat style jack recessed, so I had to make a template for that. Also saiud he wants the other cavities over recessed and rounded off somewhat, so I got onto that also. Will round them off in a later sanding stage.

IMG_4839small_zps41147cd9.jpg

Fingerboard went on today also:

IMG_4841small_zps5a81fd5e.jpg

IMG_4842small_zps7642ade8.jpg

Yes, both my 6 & 7 string clamping cauls are failed necks. I figured the board surface is the right length and shape and it's planed flat, so they make perfect cauls. Have been using them for years now.

Re the blue: I tried talking him out of it, his response was the whole guitar is built around the idea of the blue and not the other way around, so the blue was not negotiable. Oh well. At the start the blue really annoyed me, now not so much. It's grown on me. Not enough I'd do it on my own guitar, but for this build it has it's place in the theme.

Dont you love how random wood can be.

I ws rasping away and this little pocked decided to bare its ugly face. I'm not going to try repair it until the paint prep stage. For now I'll forget it's there.

IMG_4847small_zpse9750d21.jpg

Neck and heel "rough carved" - I'll get stuck into the detailing tomorrow.

IMG_4850small_zps26c177ed.jpg