Sully '71 single cut prototype #1

Hi everyone, it's been a long while since I've posted, but I do drop in from time to time.
About 3-4 years ago, I bought an abandoned Les Paul project and did a video series of its renovation. I had always wanted a Les Paul (Ace got me started as a kid), but I never really bonded with the ones that I'd owned in the past. I figured that I could refinish and repair this particular guitar and that'd be the be all, end all LP for me. I learned a lot during that process, and the most important lesson was why I never bonded with Les Pauls; the scale doesn't work for me, and I'd like a bit more ergonomics; especially around the neck joint.
....So I started drawing over a picture of a Les Paul. I wanted to make my own version, but with a 25.5 scale, and more contours on the back of the body. I drew and drew and drew, and eventually made a few templates that were kinda there, but not quite. This went on for a couple of years. I had plenty of other guitars to build, so I'd just come back to this one every now and again until I was happy with the final design.
I got some Black Limba locally and got to work. The first Sully '71 (I was born in 1971) has a Black Limba body, 3pc Black Limba neck, Rosewood fretboard, Stainless Steel jumbo frets, Tone Pros Tune-o-matic bridge, Habanero classic pickups (made by GJ2), one volume knob, one toggle switch. Here's what came out of it:
Bodies drawn out on the blank:
7397941916_57f7eee856_z.jpg
3pc neck cut up, ready for clamps
7397983046_9825466ca1_z.jpg
Out of the clamps, post-jointer, but pre-headstock ears
7408551740_4873cf5c43_z.jpg
Gluing the fretboard on to the neck blank
8408035405_77f2bbba3a_z.jpg
One down, one to go (that I still have yet to do)
8409130672_a427c86055_z.jpg
Neck backshape complete
8440014210_5a786ba332_z.jpg
Time to bust out the microplane and get contouring! Or...."the last thing the hobo ever saw...."
8452619797_c057f736bb_z.jpg
Penciling in the back contours
8453711226_0e44dd44dc_z.jpg
Back contouring
8453712166_20606bcea4_z.jpg
Bevels on the face
8452621179_dfaca05fd5_z.jpg
Gluing the neck in
8460274870_f2fbd70845_z.jpg
Additional body work done, as you can see.
8483946404_2a1f764d01_z.jpg
And the back
8482862945_150b17f0fa_z.jpg
Thanks to Doug for the excellent inlay work!
8482848961_d188c7614b_z.jpg
Now off to the lovely and talented Mike Learn for finish!
In the clear! (seewhatIdidthere?)
10966010624_3c70e75062_z.jpg
New "sully signature" logo
10965920496_e0805e299f_z.jpg
I love stingers!
10965829265_f3d179af8c_z.jpg
Assembly begins
11325432685_3839c8d096_z.jpg
Filed the nut slots and strung it up!
11405530924_98b7e429b8_z.jpg
I still have to set the intonation and I believe that'll be it. I plan on filming a demo video after the holidays are over.
Overall, I like it. With any prototype, there are things that will change with the second (and third) one, but I'm glad I waited as long as I did with the design. Also looking forward to a full on carved top version, but that'll happen later. The second prototype is well underway and features a mahogany body and neck, flamed maple top, ivoroid binding, ebony fretboard, a wraparound bridge, and the rest is kinda TBD.
Anyway, thanks for checking it out, and I hope you like it, too.
Sully
Edited by jsullysix
  • Like 1

So many peoples attempts at an "original" design just make me want to puke these days, this one doesn't, so take that as a compliment.

I do however like the front (horn) end better than it's arse end (looks a bit bulky?), but I honestly don't know how to improve the arse end so it's probably best you ignore me! Might look better with a big chunky bridge mounted back with a longer scale to fill in the space? My tastes are usually the minority around here so don't listen to me too much!

Anyway - great work and I'm a fan of the grain streak through the middle of the body. A lot of "companies" would class that as a defect or a B grade as it's inconsistent, I myself love things like this, timber is a natural thing and doesn't always need to look like a computer generated printout veneer, a simple piece like this shows individualism in the timber and a lot of people loose that concept by trying to strive for "perfection" - adds character to the piece. Makes it real rather than just another cookie cutter guitar

So many peoples attempts at an "original" design just make me want to puke these days, this one doesn't, so take that as a compliment.

I do however like the front (horn) end better than it's arse end (looks a bit bulky?), but I honestly don't know how to improve the arse end so it's probably best you ignore me! Might look better with a big chunky bridge mounted back with a longer scale to fill in the space? My tastes are usually the minority around here so don't listen to me too much!

Anyway - great work and I'm a fan of the grain streak through the middle of the body. A lot of "companies" would class that as a defect or a B grade as it's inconsistent, I myself love things like this, timber is a natural thing and doesn't always need to look like a computer generated printout veneer, a simple piece like this shows individualism in the timber and a lot of people loose that concept by trying to strive for "perfection" - adds character to the piece. Makes it real rather than just another cookie cutter guitar

I appreciate the compliment! As far as the big arse end, I have a feeling it's an illusion; it actually fits inside a Les Paul case. I definitely see what you're saying though, but I'm glad you like it. The stripe definitely needed to be showcased! I like it too.

I first saw this guitar on your you tube channel- but you said in that video it was white limba. (?? so.....which is it?))

Looks great- I am totally digging that grain streak.

ps- cool to see the vid for your theme song on your channel. And he is rocking that Sully V- nice touch.

The body is for sure black limba, while the neck wood was labeled as white limba. I think it's all black, because it matches so nicely. Glad you like the video for the theme song; Dee J was actually just interviewed for Guitar World and there's a nice pic of him with his Galaxy V here. He's got a new Sully as well; a proto of a tele styled body. It's still pointy at heart, though! :)

Hey Sully I dig it man... nice and simple but classy....

BTW... thanks for teaching me how to level and crown frets!

Ah, thanks man! Happy to have been of service.

Looks like some nice work. Not crazy about the shape, but looks well done.

How do you get mike learn to spray your guitars?

Thanks! I know it's not for everyone, but I have noticed that it does tend to grow on you. Mike Learn is a pal, but he'll paint for anyone who pays him to do so. Look him up and tell him I sent you; you'll be glad you did!

Hey Sully... Great to see you back!

Thanks Doug, and thanks for the great inlay work!

Sully!!! Great to see you dude!

Love the design.

Thanks! :)

Edited by jsullysix

• 2 weeks later...

The body is for sure black limba, while the neck wood was labeled as white limba. I think it's all black, because it matches so nicely.

I read somewhere....Hobbit House I think, that black limba and white limba are the same species and can even be from the same tree; the streaking or lack of it is the sole determination for the name. It was noted that there were worm/insect holes near all the streaks and speculated that the streaking was a reaction to the bugs.....but I don't know if that ever went beyond speculation.

SR

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...