Justin's guitar

ScottR

Then I sanded all the dye back to the pores.

IMG_3498.JPG

That will certainly show you any sanding errors you made. Next I dyed some Minwax 2 part wood filler and pore filled the back. This is the reason I darkened the pores in the neck and headstock rear, so it would match the pore filled back.

IMG_3500.JPG

While that is curing, we continue to clean up the top.

IMG_3501.JPG

This was not any fun at all. The wood filler clogs sandpaper badly.

IMG_3505.JPG

Did a good job though.

SR

And I got to this point.

IMG_3529.JPGIMG_3533.JPG

I need to sand back a little more and put some yellow and red back in.....but the rest of the burst will be in tints.

IMG_3539.JPG

And I need to sand this back some too, to get back to the natural color a bit more....

IMG_3536.JPG

My reward for a full weekend's work.

SR

• Like 2

Some of the pics pop out a bit more than the last you posted. Is it me or is it just the camera?

IMG_3522_zpsc1cbb701.jpg

Either way it looks great. Look like a pretty productive weekend Scott. Thats looking pretty damn cool. Cant wait to see the final color.

That is a combination of things John. Part of it is lighting. The last shot was under very cloudy skies almost at sunset. And I smoothed the top with some 1800 micromest which made the darker areas more reflective and shows less contrast. Now I'm going to sand back a little more aggresively and get some pop back. Clear and a tinted burst will do some of that as well.

Unmatchable work as always, Scott. Love that color choice on the front.

I personally think the back looked better natural, but i am sure it will look great when finished.

Thanks Luis. That color will be present in the final version.....but not quite so monochomatic. The back likewise will get back closer to natural.....but not all the way. Two reasons: I don't want it to compete with the top and there are a couple of places on the side that apparently were voids that got exposed after glue up. The epoxy from the glue up filled them and they won't take color. So I'll use a tinted burst to wrap around the edges and cover them up.

Well, that escalated quickly! You've got some incredible results with the shaped heel, contoured back and the entire finish. It's giving off a sweet, antique vibe at the moment.

Thanks Stu. It will probably not looks as antique this time next week. Might keep a bit of the vide though.

I love this top. In Sapin it's difficult to find this kind of wood.

A really nice work.

Glad you like it.

SR

Thanks Matt (and Knightro). No that shot was just of the front before adding any dye. I finished sanding that while the pore filler was curing, then flipped it over and sanded off the pore filler, then flipped it back and started with the dye.

IMG_3517_zps83ab0fb3.jpg

This is the shot after the sand back of the darker browns........and from that particular angle it doesn't look a hell of a lot different. Some darker color remained in the open pore areas though, honest!

SR