Cthulhu

komodo

@ScottR Thanks for the kind words. On the finish - well kinda. After seeing the splotchier areas that weren’t solid black - which were easy to see in photos but hard right in front of your face - I decided to sandback. The hardwax was quite hard but thin. After that there was an extremely dense tannic ebonized layer that was ashlike and so fine it was actually filling the pores quite well which I did mot want! I went as far as a typical sandback, and made sure to sand along the grain to retain the pattern if possible. Then it was how to make it solid black again? It was either the same process, dye (leather), or pigment. I decided to do a covering layer of black satin from a rattlecan to get full black and see if the ash grain was still there. It was so perfect there I just left it.

Fretted. 

I thought about this quite a bit. With the amount of pearl crossing slots, I was worried about seating, chipping, etc. Careful slot prep, chamfered edges, and my press made it no issue at all.

DC396FE3-CF13-4831-B069-C05E7F7F2F59.jpeg

EDBB47D3-490E-44FF-9346-3009C79DE6CD.jpeg

B2F50EBE-7DF5-451A-8DF7-08054639A28D.jpeg

D0095636-51DF-4B2A-A516-C532F1E836D6.jpeg

• Like 1

32,483 feet. One blister and one slice (4th time it’s drawn blood) when I let the freshly trimmed frets (but undressed) slide down my hand while holding it.

I don’t deserve this weapon. I’ll be playing Stairway to Heaven on it, angering every rock god in the known and unknown worlds. Hopefully it expands my playing into a more modern djenty and polyrhythmic world.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ADFinlayson said:

you only need one string to play a polyrhythm 

Yes sir. That’s the 8th string. I couldn’t do it before cause I didn’t have that one. With the 7th string I’ll have options. Djentway to Heaven.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, komodo said:

I don’t deserve this weapon. I’ll be playing Stairway to Heaven on it, angering every rock god in the known and unknown worlds.

Easy fix - Send it to me :D

2 hours ago, Prostheta said:

Deep sea doom metal ahoy!

I'm sure there's an opening somewhere for an ultra-drop tuned re-imagining of Sunn O)))

Thanks for the kind words gents.
Work is getting crazy, but I'll try to get these across the finish line soon. Then a long break of playing!

• Like 1

LOL, that was 32 THOUSAND - and maybe an exaggeration. I'm not sure how much for real, I just pull it off the coil. Best guess is about 1.5x the normal amount. 2 extra strings, and then the longer spans with the angled frets.

It didn't really take a bunch longer. I had to take extra care with the pearl, I spent a bunch of time yesterday making sure the ends were down solid with a touch of CA wicked in the ends, and the rough end filing took longer with the angles.

Thanks for the Sunn O))) reference. I'll admit I wasn't familiar with them, and that sounds like my kind of noise making.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, komodo said:

I hate this part, but it is the single greatest thing you can do for your guitar.

I agree completely. You dress one fret, polish it, make it look and feel all nice and shiny... only 23 to go, uhhhh... 

Turned out really great, can't wait to see it all set up and played.

My wife said "it looks like your octopus is in jail"   🤦‍♂️

First of all, not an octopus. It's an unknowable cosmic god.
Second, Cthulhu doesn't do jail, those are polarized vortex phase beams and they allow us to see it without going insane.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Spent the day cleaning up details, filling fret slot ends, minor this and that. Totally worth the time. Did a full bolt on test, tuners on and rough nut for final bridge placement. The neck joint is probably stronger than any glue joint, it’s ridiculous. Without the pups, or bridge there is ever so slight neck dive, I hope it balances good. Final weight should be around 7 pounds 10 ounces. 

- final bridge place and screws

- finish nut

- electrics and pup mounting

- neck oiling

- learn how to communicate with R’yleh using high saturation polymeter djent

4E2429F1-8C05-4791-AC2A-3249051B69BB.jpeg

96D31607-A3C9-4124-BB1A-F543CB6DEE2A.jpeg

BD02C3EF-FE15-424B-9190-5E5C18BE68E8.jpeg

B4445BB2-0985-4C11-B3DF-C9F3000E6B8A.jpeg

EF92D0B1-3153-4CEB-BD8C-2854E95D4EA6.jpeg

@Prostheta That finish was a failure, look for my update from last Monday. While I think there is potential in that, especially the hardwax oil, this is straight up black paint from a can. Since I was shifting midstream, I didn't want to try a second attempt with this body and was intending just to do a layer to black it out, but it ended up exactly what I was looking for.