Prototype #1 of the LGM line of guitars!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the idea very much. For some reason the little curls create the image that the guitar is kinda buckling in the middle. Not that you're still in the design phase (maybe you are?) but if i were doing it, i would drop the little cutout by the lower horn back a few inches, and thicken up the lower horn, it just seems kinda thin. Good lookin guitar though.

I like most of it but I'm not overly fond of the cut out at the back of the guitar (behind the bridge). Maybe if it was lower and was where the cable went, it'd look better.

But that, of course, is only my humble opinion. Apart from that, it's incredible.

Very cool. Where you gonna get an 8 string bridge?

Here

The First thing that comes to mind isThe guitar reminds me of a cross between the Performance Flame Guitar, an RG Style Body and a Peavey Vandenburg/Vtype.

I'm not really sure what I think of it yet, I'll reserve Judgement until I see some more photos

Don't take my comments as negativity just my first impression

Wow, I love it. I reminds me of a beer bottle opener. :D

Seriously though, I like it because it's a modern twist on a familiar design. We all know and love the Strat, but you gave it a little extra someting interesting with the added curves. I can see the similarity to the old flame guitar, but this is more subtle.

What finish are you thinking about giving it? I would be interested in seeing a fine tobacco burst that follows the curves. Again that would add to the modern/vintage fusion and I think it would be a great way to show off the new shape and make it appealing to a wide range of people.

Jeremy and i have batted this design around a bit for a few months, on and off. I'm really excited to see it starting to become reality!

My original design is more conservative, but i love what he's done with it. It's a design i've been refining in my head and on paper for about 15 years. It's based on a guitar i built in high school, only taken to the next logical step. (I'll post pics of the original when i get a chance.)

Here's where the mockup evolved to:

ridge_7_inline.jpg

Jeremy took it from there. B)

Good eye on the influences, Scott. The dimensions in my sketch/mockup are roughly based on the RG, but i beefed up the horns a bit, because i've always found RG horns to be too thin to my eye (particularly the lower one). Jeremy scooped some of that away again, but that's cool. It's a collaborative effort. :D

There are also some Vandenberg hints in there, but i never liked the design of the Vandenberg... its visual balance always seemed off, so i wanted to re-interpret it the way i would have designed it.

Jeremy has added his own interpretation to my design, which i'm totally cool with. I think he's a very talented artist and builder, and have huge respect for him. (If i didn't, i wouldn't have approached him with the original design concept.)

I kid you not, i came up with EXACTLY the same idea (less the rear cut out), so im obviously going to give you two thumbs up, but im curious as to how you broke into my house and stole my idea without my knowing :D :D B)

I'll have to find my version and host a pic of it.

Ohhhhh, ahhhhhh and lots of other satisified noises. Very nice indeed dude. B)

I think maybe instead of the cutout on the back/bottom/edge (behind the bridge, whatever tha bits called) a Jem Iceman sort of pointy bit might work nice. Ten again it might not. Keep up the good work geezer.

Three thumbs up from here..........

..........hold on a minute, that's not a thumb (my flies must be undone :D )

I actually like the look of the lower horn. I have big clumsy hands so it looks, to me, nice and roomy down there. I wouldn't beef it up. I think it would look too bottom heavy then.

To make matters worse, I like the built prototype better than the computer generated one. I may change my mind if I where to see the finished product. If you're just going to throw out that prototype, chuck it my way. :D

Looks great to me. B):D

I like the lower horn as is. If you think it's too thin in regard to breaking off, then I guess do what you have to but otherwise - my vote is to keep it thin.

Are you going to sell them locally in music stores or mainly via internet? How do you go about projecting how many will sell per year - or do you just put it out there and hope for the best?

The selling/marketing part of selling guitars is an area that I really don't understand. It seems like it would be very difficult selling mainly over the internet until word gets out on the quality of them. How do you deal with the younger crowd who mainly wants the well-known logo more than anything else (a generalization)? I'm certainly not saying you can't do it - it's obvious that you have been making a living doing this stuff. It seems like such a difficult barrier to break through - all of the big names / logos that the younger guys latch on to.

I like it as is. I like the fact that it looks like a good flame job.

I had my current project designed to look like flames (with the cut) until I saw this one. I don't think I am gonna do it now. (Don't wanna overplay an idea, nor do I want to be accused of "stealing" an idea.) I will post the "plans" that I had drawn up. Looks like a strat body, but with a flame job cut into it with multi-layered effect like a carved top.

Damn, I guess my engineering professor was correct when he said that there are no new ideas, just new applications. :D .

I might still do mine, just because it is different, but it is close to yours.

Great work man, I like it. When I get some $ together I might just have you build one for me.

For my first project, I feel that I am doing alright, but from what I see, I have a long way to go to get where I want to be.

I like it as is. I like the fact that it looks like a good flame job.

I had my current project designed to look like flames (with the cut) until I saw this one. I don't think I am gonna do it now. (Don't wanna overplay an idea, nor do I want to be accused of "stealing" an idea.)

I may be showing my age but back in the days when Mtv showed rock n' roll videos there was a David Lee Roth video that showed Steve Vai playing this cool looking flame guitar.

gtr048.jpg