Average Age Of Pg'ers

Prostheta

How old were you as of Feb 2007?  

280 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm turning 26 in a few months... :D

That's a good thing. See, at about 26 years or so, the adolesence process finally ends, and all those hormones that have been driving you nuts for the last 13-14 years will finally sink away. You'll feel calmer. Things will make more sense. You'll make more sense. Seriously. It's also the time to quit doing drugs, if you do 'em, because you simply won't need them anymore. (On the other hand, if you miss this window, then you risk winding up like one of those 40-year-old addled pot-smoking twits who find it impossible to advance beyond the stupid things they did when they were 25).

Don't knock my dreams man :D

I am 19...and that seems like the low end on this poll. And honestly I like the fact that this site has a lot of older people. I have been to certain other guitar sites (no names mentioned) that I can't stand! They are overrun with middle school/high school punks that are vulgar and can't even have serious discussions. For the most part, this site is very helpful and moderated, showing the maturity of the users here. Keep up the good work. :D

I am 19...and that seems like the low end on this poll. And honestly I like the fact that this site has a lot of older people. I have been to certain other guitar sites (no names mentioned) that I can't stand! They are overrun with middle school/high school punks that are vulgar and can't even have serious discussions. For the most part, this site is very helpful and moderated, showing the maturity of the users here. Keep up the good work. :D

I'm 35, but I stopped feeling different as I aged, at about 19. Not a bad thing at all. :D

(Eh, except when I participate in any kind of physically demanding sport... in which case my body reminds me I'm not in fact 19 anymore.)

I'm 35, but I stopped feeling different as I aged, at about 19. Not a bad thing at all. :D

(Eh, except when I participate in any kind of physically demanding sport... in which case my body reminds me I'm not in fact 19 anymore.)

I resemble that remark, except +9 years... :D

Only three more years 'til the last kid graduates high school :D... my wife and I started early. B)

i'll be 35 in a couple of months...mickgaurd speaks the truth...i have calmed down alot since i was in my mid 20s

to be honest...i am a little surprised at the age variance i see in the poll...i know there are a TON of under 18s around here...i just don't see them speaking up right now.

summer is when the teen presence is most felt

47 and still counting. I'm glad I got all my drinking and general irresponsibleness out of my system over 20 yrs ago. I'd likely be dead if I kept doing it, I was a real animal, but still can be when the occasion arises. :D You young folk, enjoy it while you can, drive safe, drink safe, be safe and then you can look back at how fast the years go, like I do now.

25.69 yrs old, and rather calm and drug free. However as calm and settled as my body feels, for the most part, I'm definitely hitting that "quarter-life crisis" that sells John Mayer boatloads of albums. Well, that and the fact once you put his hits like "Wonderland" aside, he can friggin play and has astounding tone. Anyhow, a few years now as a burgreoning yuppie in Silicon Valley and while the hormones aren't so much raging any longer, the questioning of this professional life is in full swing. I'm not about to quit my day job and try and sell custom guitars out of the garage anytime soon, but maybe grad school where I can hide for a while from the "real world."

-Dave

I feel you, dave. I'm nearly 20 and I'm thoroughly enjoying both the academic and leisurely sides of college life. While some of the classes associated with mechanical engineering are no party, getting credit hours for building an indy car is like a dream come true. I applied for an internship for this coming summer and there's a good chance I'll get it. If I do get it, I'll be making a boatload of cash, but honestly I prefer just being a bum with my head burried in a pdf of some text book with my hands dirty from working(read: "playing") with composites in the ME machine shop. It's a life I think I'll try to prolong as long as possible, most likely in the form of a masters degree. I don't foresee myself being satisfied after college unless I can start some sort of prototype consulting company or something to that effect.

peace,

russ

I feel you, dave. I'm nearly 20 and I'm thoroughly enjoying both the academic and leisurely sides of college life. While some of the classes associated with mechanical engineering are no party, getting credit hours for building an indy car is like a dream come true. I applied for an internship for this coming summer and there's a good chance I'll get it. If I do get it, I'll be making a boatload of cash, but honestly I prefer just being a bum with my head burried in a pdf of some text book with my hands dirty from working(read: "playing") with composites in the ME machine shop. It's a life I think I'll try to prolong as long as possible, most likely in the form of a masters degree. I don't foresee myself being satisfied after college unless I can start some sort of prototype consulting company or something to that effect.

peace,

russ

You're getting a masters degree in mechanical engineering....I guess that makes two of us on this forum... :D

russ

You're getting a masters degree in mechanical engineering....I guess that makes two of us on this forum... :D

Well, I've already put in my app to Stanford's Product Design program, so in the fall I may be getting my own MS:E (note, it's not technically an accredited program, so while I'll be chilling with the MSME's I'd graduate a BSME and a "Master of Science in Engineering: Product Design" which is tough to sell to those who don't know what it is, but I'm getting ahead of myself, gotta get in first!)

What are all you MSME's specializing in? Automotive, aero/astro, thermo, etc? I figure theres a disproportionate number of ME's on this board, since amongst college-types we're the most likely to actually make stuff.

-Dave

Edited by davee5

There are a few different fields that the LSU ME department focuses on, but the main ones are materials, mechanical systems, microsystems, and thermal-fluid systems. I didn't think any of those would interest me in particular. However, I've grown a bit of a soft spot for composite materials as of late. More so their applications and different forms then determining their specific properties, but necessary evils and what not...

Honestly, I could go two different routes with the master's. One would be to stick with ME for a masters. The second would be to sneak my way into the physics department and get a masters there. The first would be for personal satisfaction, the second for sheer bragging rights, haha. Although I'm of the vein of thinking that a master's degree is just a good excuse to go for a phd, but to each his own.

Anyhow, I suppose MEs are amongst the top echelon of handymen/builders in college, but to be honest, I'd say more then half of the ME students haven't a clue how to build anything, much less how to tune a hand plane or program a cnc mill.

To be honest, "product design" sounds like a very broad and general term. Were I interviewing someone who was fresh out of college and I needed someone to design certain types of machiney, I'd say odds are I wouldn't be hiring them. Is there a specific field of design you're looking to get into? If nothing else, I can whip up some mean solidworks renderings.

peace,

russ

Edited by thegarehanman