Daughter's Guitar

Nice thread Avenger!

I had learn a lot of wood working with my dad when I was a kid.

My son (3yo) take the same way, when I said that going to the shop he gets crazy to go with me. Some times I take he with me. He takes hammers, drils, saws, wood blocks and try to "make something".

In fact he put your little fingers in every where and I can't work just cary of him. (LOL)

But I feel that he likes a lot of tools, and spend time at shop, when he get older certainly will make some wood working, a guitar maybe (I hope).

I appreciate all of the positive sentiments for this project. Any of you fathers, especially my fellow divorced fathers, will understand that the quality time spent sharing what I love with wonder-girl is worth infinitely more than whatever wood/hardware goes into it. Memories and bonding time just don't have a price tag.

John,

This is an awesome project regardless of the final outcome. Any time spent with the ones that you love is well worth the effort or cost.

A few years ago I posted a whiny message complaining about lack of shop time now that my wife and I had a little one in the house. You were one of the first to respond to me with the simple straight forward message of "wake up dumbass and appreciate the time with the family and grab all that you can now". Paraphrasing of course but the message was understood :D

I appreciate all of the positive sentiments for this project. Any of you fathers, especially my fellow divorced fathers, will understand that the quality time spent sharing what I love with wonder-girl is worth infinitely more than whatever wood/hardware goes into it. Memories and bonding time just don't have a price tag.

Amen brother.

SR

A few years ago I posted a whiny message complaining about lack of shop time now that my wife and I had a little one in the house. You were one of the first to respond to me with the simple straight forward message of "wake up dumbass and appreciate the time with the family and grab all that you can now". Paraphrasing of course but the message was understood B)

I don't remember that one specifically, but it sounds familiar. I'm glad I was able to wake you up. It took a divorce to wake me up. :D

So anyway....

one I missed from last week - gluing on the headstock

wip005.jpg

Next was one of the odd bits I wanted to do because of the precision needed: cleaning up the scarfs. No pics, cuz this one ain't about me. :D

Next up is routing the truss rod channel:

wip006.jpg

wip007.jpg

I did an experiment with this one. Instead of using a straight bit for the nut (which is wider than the rest of the rod), I used a round-nosed bit. Specifically, it was a core box bit, but I'm sure any round one would do fine. I really like the way it came out.

Since she's getting a 24" scale and I'm not buying a template for it, she had to mark out the placement by hand. I did the calculations using Stew-Mac's on-line thingie.

wip008.jpg

She decided we needed a pic of me helping. I started the edge of the fretboard so she'd have a starting point, then she did the rest. I went back and cleaned up / evened out the slots when she was done.

wip009.jpg

wip010.jpg

One last note:

The sapele I got in was f'ed up. The are a LOT of little bug holes / crack-like spots in it. The grain looks like it's really heavily birds-eyed, but the crack-like voids prevent me from using it for a body. We're switching over to a big piece of andiroba. It looks almost exactly like mahogany and is similarly grained. The piece I have is 3 1/8" thick, so I'll be re-sawing and planing it for her. It's just too big for her to handle.

She wants it chambered, with oddball f-holes. I advised heavily against this, pushing for her to make it as simple as possible, but she was adamant. So after looking things over, I'll be letting her have a 1/4" flamed maple cap. The board I have is 3/4", so I'll be milling that one too. It's kinda hard to manipulate a thin board that wide through the bandsaw.

I used a round-nosed bit...... I really like the way it came out.

+1

Ya know... I could really care less what color it turns. So long as it doesn't turn loose, I'll be fine. :D

I consider them hard fought for and well earned. Each one is like a badge of honor for some trial overcome.

SR

I got the andiroba re-sawn & planed today. I'm a little concerned that it might move a bit. If it doesn't, I'll be able to get 2 body bases from it. I might make one just to unload on eBay.

On the good side, I took a +/- 3" block from one side of it so I could get it through the bandsaw. If it doesn't move I could have a 1-piece tilt-back neck blank.

I did an experiment with this one. Instead of using a straight bit for the nut (which is wider than the rest of the rod), I used a round-nosed bit. Specifically, it was a core box bit, but I'm sure any round one would do fine. I really like the way it came out.

Ive thought about doing that but never actually done the deed. Looks great. Next time I'll follow your lead!

• 2 weeks later...

John, your daughter is learning not only the value of time with Dad, but so many great skills. When she gets older and has a place of her own, she will have knowledge, when the time comes for home repairs and the effort a good craftsman puts into quality work. This will allow her the advantage if contractors are needed. :D

My oldest daughter when living in Boston was having her kitchen remodeled. The plumber raped her in charges to remove the sink. She came home for a visit and asked me about plumbing charges. She said the plumber was going to charge her $650.00 to hook up the new lines to the sink after it was installed. I laughed, and had her pour me a drink while I went to my shop and retrieved some tools. Within an hour she was making perfect solder joints on copper pipe as well as understanding how to measure and cut it. When she returned (home depot was her friend for tools and material), her Guy friends came over and helped with the cabinet installs. When it came time to solder in the new copper, she did it, to all of there amazement. :D

So keep up the great work with Wonder Girl and enjoy the time together,

Here's wishing you and your family a Merry Christmas.

Mike