strap pins - locking?

krazyderek

Do you use strap locks?  

46 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I don't understand why people use those hudge locking strap pins, i see some people praising them like holly bread, are you guys using the cheapest straps in the word or something?

i have 2 levy's straps, they're very sleek and smooth, and the ends are a fairly thick 2 layer leather, i use the stock buttons on my strat and tele and i've never EVER had a problem with them, infact it's quite hard (but not impossible) to get the strap off which is good cause it never accidentally comes off, some of those cheap 1 layer straps with holes on either side of one peice of fake leather are junk though, the holes get stretched in those in like 2 weeks, but since using levy's straps i've never looked back.

I use what ever strap I can lay my hands on, then slap massive washers on and shes good to go! but on one of my guitars, it has over sized strap buttons, so its duct tape for that...

Schaller strap locks. They're a bit unwieldly, truth be known... but they provide me with a sense of safety that regular old straps don't. I've used cheap straps AND good straps, and in the end, I always forget that the regular old strap isn't always that secure. When I hang my guitar around my body in interesting ways, posing down like a fake rock star, they still always slip off. No major mishaps yet-- no broken guitars...

But ever since switching to Straploks, I haven't looked back.

Greg

I've had my strap come loose too many times with my Ibanez - now that I've built several guitars - I'd never forgive myself if I didn't try to protect against dropping them. I've been using Schaller strap locks on my self-built guitars and I have no problem with them at all. I currenlty only use one strap and snap it on to whatever guitar I feel like playing - they are just as easy to put on as a normal strap and they give me that nice fuzzy warm feeling - .... wait maybe that feeling comes from something else - well, let's just say I feel good when I play knowing it's not likely it will drop.

I don't know what Joe Satriani uses but I did see him lose his guitar during a song. He recovered nicely - just went over to the drum set and put a foot up and continued on. I've seen a few mishaps during concerts come to think of it - but they always seem to come out just fine.

Schaller strap locks and homemde leather straps for me

Cool! I never thought of making a strap before.

Whenever I go strap shopping I go right past the designer straps and head for the plain vanilla nylon straps with leather ends. I think my favorite is Fort Brian or something like that. It has really thick ends.

I use dunlop straploks.

• 3 months later...

to answer the original question of why to use them,i use them on my vees because of where i prefer to locate the strap pin....

also if you play an explorer,you should have them...eventually it will slip off when you least expect it

for my super strats i do not use strap locks...there is no need

i will get strap locks for my 31 fret guitar, as the pin is on the back of the top horn, and this has fallen off several times, i have caught it tho! but i dont want to have a nice guitar mangeled!

my strap is a red nylon fender strap with fake leather ends (i think, i'll need to look) and i never really had an issue with that, but sometimes on my squier (say what you will, i hate it too) if im doing a high bend, it helps me to tilt the guitar to my left and bend to the side instead of straight up, and sometimes the back button hole comes loose, but since im doing a solo, i have a pretty good grip on the guitar, and ive never dropped it, but then again, i never solo on my squier. :D

but the red one never gave me any issues, until i used my freinds padded leather strap (which is oh so comfortable) i dont like it any more, it burns my neck and shoulder more.