Favorite Headstock?

darwinphilosophy

Favorite Headstock?  

185 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Favourite for what? I mean, each guitar requires its own aesthetic, and what looks great on one will look atrocious on the other.

Few generalities: Only 6-in-line headstocks I don't find ugly are Fender ones, and only small-head Strat headstocks at that. Pointy things, Ibanez, etc. fit the guitars they're on, sure, but they're not terribly attractive or aesthetically pleasing to my eye.

3+3: I don't much like big, Gibson-esque headstocks. Prefer them, slimmer and smaller.

My electrics have tended to look vaguely like this (although I've since slimmed and lengthened it a little, particularly around the curves from the nut):

http://www.xs4all.nl/~mvalente/guitarpics4..._finished07.jpg

Did the same for my acoustic headstock (slimming, anyway), which I think looks much better, and could be used on my electrics as well, although I do have a bit of a penchant for what many would consider small. Don't feel the need to have them any bigger on instruments (solidbodies) that aren't really that big. Doesn't make sense to have headstocks the same size as acoustic guitar ones, at least not to me.

neck05.jpg

My vote is obvious, but only the smaller normal version. I think the larger 60's style looks way too goofy, like they wanted the neck to look more like a cartoon guitar. Why didn't they make a goofier Tele headstock too ? (because it couldn't get anymore goofy than it already is, I guess)

I don't like the look of Tele headstocks much, but, they look better to me when they don't have any logo on them. I don't like the post 50's P-bass headstock much. I know it's a larger Strat shape, but just doesn't look that good to me. Actually, the Tele shape looks better on a bass to me (50's style).

Not just about looks either. I find some of the other headstocks create more string binding problems at the nut, from having the string going off at an angle.

Headless should have been a voting option. Might even be my second choice.

• 2 weeks later...

:D :D personally i think that Gibson flying V headstock is cool...but ESP has a lot of Great headstock. ...few examples

1. the GL -600v

2. The AX series

well i cant be sure is from B.C rich or where but it really look unit ....

• 4 weeks later...

i voted other. my favourite is perry's (not just because he's a fellow aussie) but it's so coooool.

cheers

darren

• 2 months later...

I agree with Mattia and that it depends on the guitar. Obviously I like my own designs but I don't use the same size every time and I often will make a new shape to fit a particular guitar. I used to love Jimmy D'Aquisto's headstock and still do for a killer archtop vibe, also Theo Scharpach's archtop headstocks, Saul Koll has a great looking headstock, +1 for Perry's design, the Steinberger cello headstocks are wicked cool, Mattia's headstock on his red guitar smokes, TimTone's got a great look to most of his, Harry Fleishman's recent harp guitar headstock kicks ass, etc. There are just too many to pick a favorite.

~David

• 1 month later...