What Do You Guys Use...

Joobsauce

I know here most people are building all these MEG filled humbucking pointy metal guitars but For the select who play blues, what do you use? Nothing against metal/rock players, but I want to see some stuff I don't see very often here.

I'm using a custom squire (don't laugh) with a C shape neck, staggered magnet single coil pickups and a hard tail bridge. It's got THAT strat tone that I love. I'm also building a semi hollow strat clone with 2 jazzy type humbuckers and a more oval shaped neck. :D

I use either of my two electric builds that both have humbuckers. A Les Paul junior style and a 335 semi hollow.

Plugged thru my Boss OD1 and Vox Valvetronic amp Im in blues heaven.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g111/One...Image0001-1.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g111/One...01Image0012.jpg

Edited by Acousticraft

i see what you mean, it seems like everyone is building guitars built for heavy metal or heavy metal looking guitars. Which is great cause they all look good on this forum. I don't have much money to work with but i use an epi LP studio with only the neck bucker on and the treble all the way through my Marshall MG 30 watt 110 LOL. Cheap stuff is usually the best with what i encounter. Like when i pick up a brand new Gibson that dosn't play or sound nearly as good as the same model made by Epiphone. But that's just me

a 1982 Electra MPC 940. that thing cooks, i use when i play with fingers (yes, i do play guitar with fingers). its got that sweet paulish type of tone, a little brighter i believe. for slide i use a telecaster deluxe qmt, it gets the job done. hopefully the guitar i finish sooner or later will blow those two out the water, but i cant have my expectations too high...

yea and speaking of the whole metal thing, i never got the whole ibanez deal either. could someone explain? im guessing they are fun and easy to mod?

It doesn't matter what you use, but how you use it.

Very true but a les paul with a dimebucker wont exactly sound good if you know what i mean. :D

If you already know what will sound good, why are you asking?

If you have a sound in mind, that means you've already heard it. If you've already heard it, go to the source and see what that person uses. If you uses similar equipment, with a lot of practice, you might get close. More likely you'll end up sounding just like you.

By the way, in the right hands a Les Paul with a Dimebucker might surprise you. Like I said, it's not what you use but how you use it.

It's very light and for want of a non-metal term, ergonomic. It's how I would imagine a JS or Radius to sit (having never had my hands on one). The clearcoat is perhaps a little susceptible to dings, but overall the build quality (at least on mine) is flawless. Despite the flatter radius, I wouldn't discount it as a shred machine (although it can be put through it's paces very well). As I mentioned, all three pickups were replaced with Seymours instead of stock, and it's a lot smoother in tone. Oh yes, it sits just as happily on the left leg as the right....

I'd forget the non-Prestige Ibanez' based purely on how pleased I am with this Ibanez.

Edited by Prostheta

I use the guitar's I built for blues, rock, metal, jazz or even country.

My main everyday guitar is my third handmade which is a Tele...ish body. I originally designed it as an RG type body but before I cut the shape out I modded the drawn lines to make it sort of a dinky style Tele. It is a three piece body made from Maple/Walnut/Maple with active EMG's in it. The neck is a five piece Walnut/Maple/Purple Heart/Maple/Walnut with an Ebony fretboard and a reverse Ibanez style peghead. It is a 25" scale guitar.

The other guitar I use has the same woods for the neck but with a Maple fretboard and it was entered in the GOTM in Feb. 05. It was based on an undersized Ibanez RG with a 25" scale, active EMG's and was the fourth guitar that I built.

My first guitar had passives which were wired so I could split the coils but I decided to cannibalize it's parts for a future build. It played great for a first guitar but just didn't have the quality that I was going for in my builds. It was also a 25" scale and was good for blues and jazz.

My second guitar is a 25" scale 7-string with active EMG's(I must like them!) that actually sounds more bluesy or jazzy than rock or metal. It has a Poplar body with a 4 pc. neck consisting of Maple/Zircote/Zircote/Maple and a Rosewood fretboard.

I have three guitar's waiting on a finish, an ESP style Viper(with a Carvin neckthrough), a Gibson style V(with a Carvin neckthrough) and an Ash PRS style guitar with a Maple bolt in neck and an Ebony fretboard.

I'm currently working on a Walnut neckthrough Ibanez S style 27" baritone 7-string and have at least six other necks and bodies in various stages from the last couple of years.

cool...the sabre i have is pre-korea...(japan built) and is very nice,but i often wonder if the new prestige series is as good.guess i should go see one in person

I would, for sure but do give it a critical eye as far as setup goes. The frets have very nicely dressed rounded ends which is a good sign, but a fret polish and tweaking to your liking will probably be in order. From what I have seen, the Prestige instruments are nicely set up and dressed from the factory unlike the run-of-the-mill Ibanez'. I could be wrong, but this is just what I have seen of course. Buildwise, the routing seems cleaner too. Perhaps a less speed-oriented program on the CNC or better hand-sanding? Can't go wrong with the bubinga neck reinforcement. Perfect. I would love another S without the trem, perhaps in a blackburst. Mmmm.