World Record Picking?

killemall8

Yawn yawn yawn.

No kidding. Guys on Youtube are tripping over each other to be the best or "fastest." Now, I love metal and badass guitar solos, but this kind of stuff sucks. It's not music. It's just a contest where everyone's a loser.

Edited by fookgub

Hey Wes, which vid is it with the cool sweep picking? It wasn't immediately obvious to me as I scrolled through.

As to the speed of this guy, I see plenty of denegration going on. If speed isn't important to you, that's cool, plenty of good non-speedy guitar playing I've come across in my time, and I wouldn't ever say that something is boring OR bad simply because "it's not fast enough". On the same token, I prefer the speedy stuff, and this IS fast. Could his left hand keep up? Maybe, with enough practice, he probably would have done it if he could have right now on that video, but I think he was putting this out as a "whatcha got?" to other folks simply based on the right hand speed. All that being said, I'm impressed simply becuase it IS fast and I couldn't do it.

The point was made that he isn't combining fretting with picking which makes it baseless. Like saying you can win the Tour De France just because you're a whizz on a static exercise bike, etc. Fast music isn't about the number of notes you can play. That's boooring. It's about applying technique, melody, style and moreover *restraint*! The best "fast" solos are the thoughtful ones. Listen to Extreme's "Play With Me" or indeed loads of Nuno for thoughful playing!

Speed IS an important colour in my palette, but not by any means the only one which is all these "it's not fast enough" geeks hammer on (partial joke intended) about.

I tried it last night(I don't get enough practice) and after a little warming up,I find that my picking is more than half that speed,but that is keeping control of it.I think that if you practice,you WILL be able to do that,but I don't see much use.

But my playing,though fast,is not based on speed,rather intricateness(?) of the riff.(rythm guitarist,not a lead guy)

what you have to realize is that he is just turning his wrist loose...sort of a voluntary shake(if yo know what I mean)...that's why he starts off slow and then it jumps to full speed...he has no control over it.

He is not a guitarist...he is a one trick pony.

Wes, thanks for that last comment and the links for the sweep vids.

I had a good time watching. I think old dude sweepmaster takes himself pretty seriously. He clearly has skills, but no smiles. I saw a vid like that with Joe Stump a while back, and he was cracking up after he finished. No real criticism for the sweepmaster, but just based on the Stump vid I half expected him to crack up when he was done.

Yeah I thought the same thing...he comes off as a bit of a douche,but he is clearly very good.I was also impressed that it was not ALL sweeping...

I never got the hang of sweep picking,I guess because for the most part,lead work is not something I care to learn..I prefer the old school lead anyway...Exodus/Megadeth stuff..

• 2 months later...

I saw the original video this post refers to by doing a backtrace of 'RE''s from this video that I originally found.

I saw the original video this post refers to by doing a backtrace of 'RE''s from this video that I originally found.

Watched the video, did you see the dude's grim look of determination as he played trills on slow melodic progressions. To get back in the zone I listened to 'A Tout Le Monde' by Megadeth with Christina Scabbia from Lacuna Coil, Click here

christina_scabbia_02.jpg

the solos in 'that song definitely pass the taste test, nice crisp driving tone on the guitars too.

Edited by Muzz