Another Kl Les Paul

I would say make a new neck, and save the old one for later, I'm sure you´ll find a way to use it later on.

cant afford to make a new neck, and already routed the body for this one. im thinking this might be my last guitar ever. the frustration with everything, not just becuse of this mistake is just getting to me so badly i just want to throw everything through a window and smash my head on my mirror. i might be giving away some of my guitar building stuff here soon.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey man, we all come across the bad times of building- i've still yet to complete a build! most of the work I've done has been wrong and I wasted materials due to being hasty and mistakes. But it happens, that's normal with building, you make mistakes, you get angry, you get frustrated. Don't give up, take a break, let yourself relax then come back to it.

Please don't stop building, all your work has inspired me to keep going and try to get my ones finished.

i just dont know if i can take it anymore. 3 years, what have i learned? nothing. i havent gotten any better. wasted money and time i could have used for something that could have really gotten me somewhere. instead im here, stuck with a bunch of stuff that i only have becuse i am selfish. every single project. i destroy anything that i toutch. brand new electronics, i screw over in 10 minutes and make unuseable. out of the 20 guitars ive built, none have every worked within 10 screw ups on every one. now i know why no one trusts me with anything.

i just dont know if i can take it anymore. 3 years, what have i learned? nothing. i havent gotten any better. wasted money and time i could have used for something that could have really gotten me somewhere. instead im here, stuck with a bunch of stuff that i only have becuse i am selfish. every single project. i destroy anything that i toutch. brand new electronics, i screw over in 10 minutes and make unuseable. out of the 20 guitars ive built, none have every worked within 10 screw ups on every one. now i know why no one trusts me with anything.

CHILL OUT!

You gotta have fun doing this or isn't worth doing!

Woodworking takes practice. Everybody makes mistakes now and then, and if you keep making them, do some prototyping on cheap wood and scraps. It'll work out if you let it.

What exactly is wrong..? I know you said it was too thin, but, what part is too thin? If it's too short across, couldn't you just change your string spacing at the nut?

CHILL OUT!

Woodworking takes practice. Everybody makes mistakes now and then, and if you keep making them, do some prototyping on cheap wood and scraps. It'll work out if you let it.

+1

Slow down and stop building so fast is my suggestion, this way you may make less of these "mistakes" and possibly enjoy it a little more.

CHILL OUT!

+1

Slow down and stop building so fast is my suggestion, this way you may make less of these "mistakes" and possibly enjoy it a little more.

+2

You've got talent, you just have to slow down and be alittle more focused. I can understand the feeling you have.

On my latest build, I went crazy over the fret work. All the frets were seated perfectly - Best job so far. I partially screwed it up while levelling because my home brew fret rocker was not actually flat and I wanted to try a new method of checking fret level. Frustrated? You betcha! Never again will I make that mistake. I should have double checked against my reference tool.

I say keep it up. With necks, I always make them a touch wider than necessary because I know I can always remove stock later.

Take a break, relax and come back to guitar building when you feel ready. I still make mistakes and it's frustrating. Some people can build their first or second guitar like a pro while others can make dozens before they get to that level. That guitar body your building looks fantastic to me so I wouldn't give up.

I have four completed with four in the finishing process and a half a dozen body blanks and neck blanks waiting to be worked on. I'm still not there yet in my build quality but I'm slowly getting better.

Some people only build guitar bodies and purchase pre-made necks and I see nothing wrong with that at all. Many times I have considered doing this myself to save time and some headaches. I have even used a couple of those Carvin NT6 neckthroughs to build with myself and I really like their quality.

I didn't start building to make money.(I haven't!) I started because I wanted a PRS guitar but I didn't have the money for it. However, I had some woodworking skills so I thought that I would give it a try. After two bad neck builds I gave up and stuck to buying factory guitar's. 15 years later I started to build again and hope to continue to do so.

In the end I could have probably bought at least two PRS guitar's for the amount of money I spent on tools and materials not even counting all of the time I have invested in it. My only regret is that I didn't stick to building 15 years ago because I enjoy building so much and I imagine my skills would be greatly improved. Will I ever get to that level of building high quality instruments like many here have? I hope so but only time will tell.

A friend of mine asked me why I build guitar's when I can afford to buy them. I asked him why would he pay someone to play golf for him so he doesn't have to himself. We do what we do because we enjoy it.

Good luck,

Jeff

Just to be fair, he shouldn't be blamed for mistakes just because he works faster than everybody else. He already stated that he spends a lot of time planning, so these aren't just random unnecessary mistakes. Killemall, you do have skills, don't be so discouraged. Everyone makes mistakes....I'm not halfway done with my guitar yet, and I've already made plenty of mistakes. Just cheer up and have fun like everyone else says.

Just an idea.....perhaps you could take a short break from guitars and work on other projects (I dunno, furniture or something for example). You could do less critical projects that would still build your woodworking skills, that way when you build your next guitar, you will feel more confident. I don't know if that helps any....just trying to help. Believe it or not, you have been a help to people on this forum. Have a nice day! :D

Just to be fair, he shouldn't be blamed for mistakes just because he works faster than everybody else. He already stated that he spends a lot of time planning, so these aren't just random unnecessary mistakes.

+1

This es EXACTLY what I was thinking.

Killemall, you do have skills, don't be so discouraged. Everyone makes mistakes....I'm not halfway done with my guitar yet, and I've already made plenty of mistakes. Just an idea.....perhaps you could take a short break from guitars... when you build your next guitar, you will feel more confident. I don't know if that helps any....just trying to help. Believe it or not, you have been a help to people on this forum.

+1 again.

Walk away from it for a little while. One of the best tips I read on this board is if you're getting frustrated, leave it alone for a while. If you don't you'll compound your mistakes, making things worse. This was in reference to a specific task, but it's just as true on a larger scale. Step away until the fire rekindles itself.

Another thought:

Get $20-$30 and buy some basic wood like alder, maple, poplar, etc. Make a few bodies & sell them on eBay or where-ever. Just focus on this for a bit instead of the entire building process. This will keep you involved, build some income, hone some skills, and allow for some experimentation. It's still walking away somewhat, but not completely.

Whatever you decide, don't do it in frustration, anger, depression, etc. Do it with a clear head.

Just to be fair, he shouldn't be blamed for mistakes just because he works faster than everybody else.

Not exactly what i was saying, i don't see these "mistakes" he makes. It was just a suggestion really, i don't follow his builds as much as some of you do.

Seriously killemall8, your doing well. I have made four, destroyed all four due to small mistakes, i want perfect dammit!!

anybody want any of this project? its completley destroyed now. the back of the body is have stripped, chunks of wood all taked out and messed up. i think will never attempt one again. anybody who wants it can have it

no! you trashed it?

the body was perfectly fine!

my 2nd build was never done because the headstock was to thin and I accidently routed the neck pocket misaligned. I left that aside, and continued with other projects, I know someday I`ll have the patience to look at that mistake and really make the most out of it. maybe making a new neck (probably) and re-routing a new neck pocket (gluing some piece of wood in the existing one), or find a way to re-use some of the parts. truss rod, fb, body...

don`t give up man.

and don`t sell everything you own.

leave it alone for a few days, maybe with time you`ll start again in this crazy world we call lutherie.

Edited by Hector

Hey, check out the signature at the bottom of your posts. Apply it to yourself here. Don't throw in the towel on guitar building. You missed this shot, but if you take a break, cool down, devote your energy to something else for a while... I'm sure you'll do well again.

Seriously, your building style is one of the most distinct I have seen on this forum. You really bring something unique to guitar building. It's obvious to everyone that you have innate talent but that you also have a huge amount of LEARNED SKILL. If you quit guitarbuilding, you're basically throwing away all the time and money you invested in learning how to build. You got this far for a reason.

If you're afraid you might damage your materials, buy some cheap wood, as others have suggested. Build some basic guitars for fun. Don't spend more than you have to. (Buy cheap pickups, cheap tuners, etc.) Have fun. Build something funny or outrageous. Keep your cost low so you can sell them cheap or give them away to friends. Don't put any pressure on yourself and take your time.

Hey killemall8, what is the width of the neck now?

Is the norm 1 11/16 at the top and 2 1/4 at the bottom?

Great idea from Setch on how to thicken the neck if it really is too thin, although I guess there would need to be some carefull and time consuming deconstruction before the fix. Alternatively, would it be possible to just cut off the neck, route a neck pocket, buy a premade bolt on neck and screw it in?

After some of the 'don't WOD it send it to me' posts it will be interesting to see if someone steps up and takes on your project. I am too busy to adopt it but your guitar looks cool so I hope someone takes it to the finish line.

After some of the 'don't WOD it send it to me' posts it will be interesting to see if someone steps up and takes on your project. I am too busy to adopt it but your guitar looks cool so I hope someone takes it to the finish line.

I would be TOTALLY willing to take over the project. More than willing - eager is more like it. I think it'd be a great learning experience for me.

Don't get so frustrated with yourself. This is all part of learning how to build quiality guitars. I went to Roberto-Venn in the fall of '01. When I got out, I got a shop together with whatever money I had and started building guitars on the side of my main job. The first guitars from my shop were and still are great guitars, but even with the training I got from RV, I still made mistakes. The first neck I built in my own shop I carved too thin and had to redo. Now that neck is hanging on the wall as a reminder of what not to do. All these issues you had with this neck will only make future guitars better.

and how you doin' now? any major progress w/ your business?

I wouldn't call it major, but I'm as busy as I am comfortable with right now.

Just had an idea about how to widen a neck that is slightly too thin without using major surgery, I'll throw it out there to get thoughts on whether it is feasable.

Glue strips of binding to the fingerboard so they are sticking out from the rest of the neck. Use two pack to flare the neck out to meet the binding. Sand smoth, crisis over. :D

well some dont read all of the thread. i had already routed the neck pocket for the neck, and drilled and routed all cavities. it was basicly readdy to go. but after a few days of deciding, i have decided to attempt to finish it. and for a few other reasons. its going to be a long shot, but i have to try. i know i sounded like a whiney baby, and i assure you that was the first and last time. am NEVER one to give up. if i started something, i have to finish it. so no matter how much i want to quit, my instincts and concious wont let me. pics up soon.